We have been getting questions via email, the blog and on Facebook about this journey. So we thought the best way to address them is add them here on the blog.
1. We use only real butter, which we find for $1.79 lb at Sam’s. For my area, dairy is rarely on sale and this is a great deal.
2. I use only olive or coconut oil. I buy olive oil in bulk at Sam’s. I also make sure its cold pressed for maximum health benefits.
3. We make our breads from scratch. Right now with my gall bladder issues, whole wheat doesn’t sit well. So sadly we use white flour at the moment. As my gall bladder improves we are going to slowly work whole grains back into our diet. 🙂
4. Our goal is to spend $60 for 2 to 3 months. If all goes well in our finance department then we will have made it possible for me at the beginning of the month to make one large shopping trip. At that time I am moving our budget to $300 a month. Which over a years time works out to be $69 a week. But when buying bulk I am able to save more. I will talk more about this idea in the future, but if you have questions, feel free to ask!
5. Yes, we include all our paper products, pet food, toiletries and cleaners in this total. We have a good amount of medicines, toiletries and some cleaners stock piled from my coupon days at Walgreens. When those supplies run low I will return to my Walgreen coupon days to stock up again. And yes, within my $60 a week budget. 🙂
6. We no longer purchase raw milk. For the reason is that at $7 a gallon we can not afford it. We gave this up last month before we made this choice. Same with the $3 a dozen farm fresh eggs. That one was harder for me to let go. When sales and coupons coincide I will be buying organic milk & eggs.
7. No, we do not eat organic. We are not opposed to it. We just simply do not have the means. If we should find fruits, veggies, meats or milk in our price range that are organic then yes we do prefer them. We also try to seek out fresh but that is not always possible. We believe that the Lord knows our needs and meets them, whether that is in a frozen bag of broccoli or a fresh head of one. We trust in Him.
8. And no , we are NOT extremely religious. We do not prescribe to a region as that is man made. We prescribe to the Word of God , period. But for those who ask I think our beliefs fall somewhere between Conservative Baptist to Mennonite. 🙂
If you have more questions please continue to ask , we love to hear them! You can email us at ThisDecoratedLife@hotmail.com